23andMe makes a great gift for family members or friends. Our saliva collection kits offer a convenient method for DNA collection; most people who are able to spit can provide a sufficient sample for our laboratory to analyze.
This article discusses some things to keep in mind when purchasing 23andMe as a gift:
The 23andMe® Personal Genome Service can be purchased through the 23andMe online store. When placing your gift order through the 23andMe online store, please remember:
Order email address and phone number
The order confirmation email is sent to the address you provide during the order process, and the phone number is used to contact you in case of shipping problems. Many gift givers choose to enter their own contact information rather than the recipient information if they want the arrival of the kit to be a surprise.
Billing and shipping addresses
The online store offers the ability to enter independent billing and shipping addresses (one of each), so you have the option to send the kit(s) directly to the gift recipient if you wish. However, we do not offer the option to enter multiple shipping addresses.
At this time, gift wrapping or discreet privacy packaging is not available.
- Each individual who wants to participate in 23andMe needs his or her own saliva collection kit.
- Instructions regarding the sample collection process and 23andMe account creation and registration will be included in the kit.
- Return shipping is prepaid, and shipping instructions and materials are also included with the kit.
- The recipient of each kit will need to submit his or her saliva sample by the “Collect by” date printed on the side of the collection tube.
- Individuals must provide a sample and return the collection kit from the same country to which the kit was shipped by 23andMe.
- Saliva collection kits may not be sold or resold, but a kit can be registered by an individual other than the person for whom it was purchased. If the gift recipient does not want to participate, you may request a refund within 30 days of purchase per our refund policy, or you can have another individual use the kit.
How can I ship to multiple addresses?
Shipping to multiple addresses in one order is not currently supported by the 23andMe online store.
Can I purchase a kit using a gift card or pre-paid card?
Yes, a gift card or pre-paid card from Visa, MasterCard, or American Express, can be used in the 23andMe online store. Just make sure that the gift card has enough available to funds to cover the total amount of the order (including shipping). If you are using a Visa gift card, you may need to register the card first and set a billing address prior to ordering.
Can I transfer ownership of a kit?
Yes, you can give an unregistered collection kit to someone else. It is during the registration process that a collection tube is connected with a specific person. If the collection tube has been registered, please contact us from the registered email address and we will outline the available options.
What is 23andMe’s refund policy?
23andMe has a 30 day refund policy; the kit cannot already be analyzed or in the process of being analyzed by the lab. Be sure to read the full policy.